You’ve committed to buying a new mattress, but you’re overwhelmed by all the options available. Size is a relatively straightforward decision. Determine how the bed will be used and size will follow.
- Crib/Toddler – 27" x 52" – Crib sizes designed for young sleepers are reasonably firm and quickly outgrown. When kids are about two years old, parents size up to a twin bed for its compact size, or a full bed that will last through the teen years.
- Twin – 38" x 75" – The smallest adult mattress size, twin, or single, mattresses are good when space is at a premium. Typically used in bunk and trundle beds, their 75-inch length is too small for taller adults.
- Twin XL – 38" x 80" – Twin XL mattresses, prevalent in college dorms, are about as long as a king or queen, offering more legroom than a single.
- Full – 53" x 75" – Full beds, or doubles, are 15 inches wider than a twin. Too short and compact for two adults to sleep restfully, doubles are becoming popular for kids. Parents and children have space to snuggle and read, plus there’s room to grow.
- Queen – 60" x 80" – Queen mattresses are seven inches wider and five inches longer than a double making this a comfortable size for two adults. Queens are suitable for couples whose bedrooms are on the small side or who don’t require tons of sleeping space.
- King – 76" x 80" – About the size of two twins, a king mattress is perfect for couples looking to maximize personal space. It’s also a good option for a family bed. The downside is its larger footprint. Make sure the bed fits in the room and through the bedroom door.
- California King – 72" x 84" – A California king is narrower but longer than a standard king. Choosing this size if you want the real estate of a king bed, but your bedroom is tight.
- The Family Bed - 9’’ to 12’’ - The Family Bed is designed for extreme comfort for the entire family. The unique size is equivalent to two full size mattresses combined.
Visit your local Bedding Mart and the mattress experts will help you determine which size is best for you and your family.